This is basically my take on Rice-a-Roni, minus the MSG, of course! I think it could be referred to as pilaf, but fancy schmancy rice is much more fun to say! Anyway, it's a great way to jazz up your rice a bit for a nice homecooked meal. Goes great with grilled chicken and a salad and/or veggies alongside it. Hope you fall in love with this one!
- 2 T. butter
- half an onion, diced
- 1 c. uncooked regular long-grain rice (which is fancy talk for white rice... obviously you can use minute rice or brown rice! Just be aware of the cooking and flavor/texture difference between them).
- angel hair pasta, broken up (maybe about a 1/4 c. to a half c. I don't know! Eyeball it.)
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 1/4 t. salt
- Seasonings to taste (I use Italian, but you could use Cajun for a spicy rice, etc. Whichever way your taste buds guide you!)
1. Melt butter in a deep skillet (olive oil can be used as well) and add onion; cook.
2. Stir in broken pasta and rice and cook until brown, stirring frequently (about 5 minutes).
3. Stir in broth and seasoning.
4. Heat to boiling, stirring once or twice, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 16 minutes (adjust time to fit the rice you're using. Brown rice takes a long time, and minute rice doesn't).
5. Remove from heat, and let stand for 5 minutes, covered.
* You can also add mushrooms, tomatoes, zucchini, etc. and it tastes great!