Sunday, March 01, 2015

Quick Clam Chowder (food storage version)

My kids are obsessed with clam chowder!  And frankly, I don't blame them.  Unfortunately, the cream doesn't please our tummies as much as our palates...  So I figured I'd experiment with coconut milk, because heck, it's pretty creamy.  Imagine my delight when it worked fabulously!  Now I have happy kids with happy stomachs :)

Adapted from My Food Storage Cookbook

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 c. bacon bits
  • 2 T. butter/oil
  • 2 T. dried onions
  • 2 T. flour blend
  • 14 oz clam broth
  • 2 cans clams, with liquid
  • 1 can whole potatoes, drained and chopped
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1/4 t. celery seeds
  • 1 bay leaf
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • dash of nutmeg
Directions:
     In medium soup pot, saute bacon bits over medium heat until crisp.  Add butter and onions.  Once butter has melted, stir in flour and cook for a minute or two.  Add clam broth to roux and whisk until smooth.  Add in remaining ingredients and bring to a low simmer.  Serve warm with biscuits or cornbread.

No comments: