Sunday, March 08, 2015

Herbed Polenta

I personally love polenta, but my husband doesn't particularly care for it and my kids would rather have pasta...  Nonetheless, I continue to make it because it's yummy and it's a nice way to break up the typical pasta/rice for dinner routine.  I'm a huge fan of using a variety of grains throughout my meals, and polenta fits the bill (because corn is a grain, NOT a vegetable)!

Adapted from My Food Storage Cookbook


Ingredients:
  • 3 c. water
  • 3/4 t. salt
  • 1 T. brown sugar
  • 1/2 t. basil
  • 1/2 t. Italian seasoning
  • 1 c. corn meal
  • 1/2 c. parmesan cheese
  • 2 T. butter
Directions:
  Combine water, salt, sugar and spices in medium pot and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer, and whisk in cornmeal.  Continue to stir to avoid any clumps, and allow polenta to gently cook for 15 minutes.  Add butter and parmesan cheese and stir until smooth.  Remove from heat and cover with a lid and let sit for 15 minutes.  Serve warm, making sure to stir well before serving (think of it like fluffing rice/quinoa).


No comments: