As much as I love to cook, I also appreciate a fast and easy recipe. This recipe is a little more labor intensive than I would like, so I'll probably end up tweaking this more the next time I make it...
- 1 c. water
- 2/3 c. white sugar
- 1 c. walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2/3 c. rice flour
- 1/2 lb. precooked shrimp, defrosted and cut in half
- 1/4 c. mayonnaise
- 1/4 c. honey
- 1 T. coconut milk
- coconut oil
- Combine water and sugar in medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Add walnuts and boil for two minutes. Drain and place walnuts on a lined cookie sheet and toast in a preheated oven for about 15 minutes. Check every 5 minutes and toss as needed for even toasting.
- Whip egg whites in a medium bowl until nice and foamy. Fold in whisked egg yolks and rice flour, until a thick paste forms.
- Melt enough coconut oil to generously coat the bottom of a large skillet (over medium heat).
- Dip prepared shrimp into egg-flour batter; working in small batches, fry both sides of battered shrimp until golden brown. Remove to paper towels to drain. Add more oil as needed.
- Combine mayonnaise, honey and coconut milk in a medium bowl. Toss fried shrimp to coat in sauce. Add half of the toasted walnuts and combine well. Serve with steamed veggies and rice, sprinkling remaining walnuts on top.