Sunday, October 10, 2010

sometimes sweet

Sometimes, when I'm feeling naughty/indulgent (which is more often than not), I add chocolate to my baking.  What, like you haven't noticed???  Yes, it's true.  Most of my healthy muffins have little bits of antioxidant goodness in them in the form of chocolate chips... I don't make many cookies, or sweets in general.  But, I do have a huge bag of chocolate chips in my fridge.  And when I say huge, I mean Costco HUGE ;)

Sometimes, we need to treat ourselves.  Reward ourselves for making good choices.  It's called positive reinforcement.  Perhaps you've heard of it?  I'd hate to go through all the trouble of making a nutritious muffin, or granola bar, and then have it sit uneaten.  By throwing some chocolate in there, I've turned something that is good for you into something that also tastes good.  If you're a super-duper health nut and you've banned sugar from your life and have no need for chocolate like us lesser mortals, then feel free to leave them out!  However, I like to leave mine in, in an effort to sneak the good stuff into the good mouths of my family and friends.

Sometimes, when I make my granola rounds, I'll put a few of those chocolate chips on top.  When I pull them out of the oven, I spread the now melted chips around and voila! a chocolate "covered" granola bar.  I don't know about you, but pulling teeth would be easier than getting my kid to eat his home-packed lunch at school every day.  He's much too busy talking/playing to be bothered with some healthy snack his mom made.  But when he sees that chocolate "covered" granola bar, he's compelled to devour it!  And he's left feeling special, while his tummy feels full.

Sometimes, this nutrition nazi of a mom needs to feel special, too.  And so she'll break up a normal granola bar and throw in a few chocolate chips and voila! chocolate cranberry granola for breakfast.  Yes, it's true.  Chocolate does indeed have antioxidants in it :) And sometimes, being healthy means treating yourself to something sweet.  *B

No comments: