Sunday, January 18, 2015

Coq Sans Vin (food storage version)


So, I have a pretty cool story behind this recipe.  Well, I think it's cool...  Anyway, I was fretting all week about converting one of my all time favorite meals (Coq Sans Vin) into something that would work for food storage and I just kept drawing blanks on ideas.  I mean, how can you turn a fabulous French meal into something using canned food???  I was almost embarrassed for even considering it!

But then this morning, I woke up with a dream fresh in my mind and suddenly I had an idea: make chicken patties with canned chicken.  Talk about answered prayers, because it totally worked!  Now, mind you, this version doesn't even hold a candle to the original.  But, BUT, it will suffice in times of emergency.  And for that reason I am calling it a miraculous success ;)

Ingredients:


     • prepared chicken patties
     • ¼ c. bacon bits
     • 1 T. flour (GF fine)
     • 2 c. chicken broth
     • 1 T. apple cider vinegar
     • 1 T. dried onions
     • 1/4 t. garlic & herb
     • 1/2 t. salt
     • 1/2 t. dried sage
     • 1 bay leaf
     • 1 large can whole carrots, drained*
     • 1 can mushrooms, drained 

Directions:
     Once chicken patties are transferred to warm oven, add bacon to the hot skillet used for preparing the patties.  Cook until crisp.  Add flour and stir, cooking for 1 minute.  Add vinegar and chicken broth a cup at a time, whisking until a thin gravy forms.  Add remaining ingredients and stir; turn heat to low and bring to a simmer.  Remove from heat and serve over prepared mashed potatoes and chicken patties.  Goes great with sweet & savory green beans!

Note: I'm pretty sure dehydrated carrots would be far superior in this than canned.  So that's my next experiment: cook with more dehydrated food.  And I'm pretty dang excited about the prospect of dehydrating frozen food!  Makes me giddy just thinking about it.  *B

No comments: