Friday, March 25, 2011

the book that changed my life

[I ♥ iPhone pics]
"Nutrition goes beyond calories and food groups. Our bodies have the ability to heal themselves and our food can facilitate that power."  Yes, I'm quoting myself (I can do that, right???).  How about Hippocrates?  Ever heard of him?  Of course you have!  This is my favorite quote of his: "Everyone has a doctor in him or her; we just have to help it in its work. The natural healing force within each one of us is the greatest force in getting well. Our food should be our medicine. Our medicine should be our food."

I went off to college with the intention of becoming a doctor, or something.  I ended up with a B.S. in Health Science, a minor in Biology and an emphasis in Health Promotion & Lifetime Wellness.  I took several courses dealing with the human body, and I loved every.single.one.  But no textbook taught me what I knew to be true.  And then I came across Paul Pitchford's book, Healing With Whole Foods: Asian Traditions & Modern Nutrition.  I lovingly refer to it as my food bible :)

This book also played a key role in my marriage.  True story!  Once I read said book, there was no going back...  My roommates and professors alike were concerned with my "quackish" beliefs.  I even had a quasi boyfriend at the time who thought I was borderline sacrilegious, all because I experimented with brown rice syrup and drank copious amounts of green smoothies.  Oh, and not going to the doctor for common ailments = dangerous.

A friendly admirer (Brad) took me out for my birthday (not the pseudo BF).  Over our dinner conversation we talked about what we wanted for Christmas.  I sheepishly and quickly mumbled the name of the book.  Because that's all I wanted; the school library was tired of me hoarding it... I braced myself for the oncoming scorn that never came.  Not only had Brad heard of this book, but his own mother owned it!  I wasn't crazy.  I was NOT crazy!  Poor pretend boyfriend never had a second chance after that fateful night ;)

I love food.  I love my body.  I love this book.  And I love my husband.  *B

No comments: