Sunday, February 08, 2015

Homemade Hamburger Helper

I never was a huge fan of Hamburger Helper, but my husband sure likes it...  Not that he grew up with it, but you know, hamburger.  Anyway, I prefer to make my own one-pot meal as opposed to using the prepackaged meal with who-knows-what ingredients.  This is so very easy to modify too, by changing the seasonings, liquids used, etc.  And it's always been a big hit anytime I've made it, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it too :)

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 lb. ground meat -or- 1 c. TVP, rehydrated in 2 c. broth
  • 2 c. milk (rice milk works great)
  • 1 c. broth
  • 2 heaping cups of pasta (GF penne/macaroni works well)
  • 1/2 t. chili powder
  • 2 t. garlic powder
  • 1 t. brown sugar
  • 1 t. salt
  • paprika/turmeric, to taste
  • 1-2 c. shredded cheese (depends on how cheesey you want it)
Directions:
     Brown meat, drain fat as desired.  Add liquid, seasoning and pasta.  Stir and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until pasta is al dente.  Add desired amount of cheese and stir well until combined.  Serve warm with a side salad.

No comments: