Sunday, February 15, 2015

Cream of Whatever Soup

I honestly can't tell you when the last time was where I bought a can of cream of mushroom/chicken/tomato soup.  Simply because I like to make my own.  It gives me a better handle on the ingredients, which means less MSG as well as some dairy-free options...

Ingredients:
   •  3 T. butter
   •  3 T. flour (about half if using a GF mix w/ xanthan gum)
   •  ¼ t. salt
   •  Dash of pepper
   • 1 ¼ c. liquid (milk/broth/juice)
   • optional mix-ins: mushrooms, celery, chicken (depends on what kind of soup you're making)

Directions:
     Combine flour and seasoning and set aside.  Melt butter in pan.  Add flour mixture and stir well, allow to cook for a minute or two.  Whisk in liquid and bring to a simmer until thickened.  Makes 1 can’s worth of soup.

No comments: