Tuesday, September 21, 2010

the nitty gritty

I'm really going to try and be better about posting my meal plans.  Forgive me for being lazy!  But at least I'm posting more regularly, right???  Meh, you win some, you lose some ;)

First off, let me explain how my plans have been working for me lately -- just in case I haven't already.  I have themes for each day of the week.  I find that it keeps our food palate well rotated and our oral palates happy.  Who likes to have Italian three days in a row (besides me, but that's because I am one)?!  Another reason why I like our theme routine is that if a planned meal doesn't sound so good, of if I find myself running out of time, then instead of playing the what's-for-dinner guessing game, I can at least narrow our options down to one genre.  For example, if I have Oriental Chicken planned but forgot that I left my crock-pot at my mom's, then I'll throw some frozen veggie spring rolls in the oven and make a peanut dipping sauce as a replacement.

As of late, I have been labeling our days of the week as follows: Mexican Monday, Oriental Tuesday, Twisted Wednesday, Authentic Thursday, TGIFriday, Special Saturday, Super Sunday.  The first two are pretty self-explanatory... except for Tuesdays.  Most of the time it ranges from Thai to Chinese, but sometimes it's fish with rice.  Either way, rice is always a Tuesday ingredient.  I'll describe the rest so they make sense, lest you're interested in copying me ;)  Feel free to, by the way.  Please.  I don't mind.  Promise.

Wednesday is our day for leftovers.  But instead of just pulling stuff out of the fridge and plopping it on the table, I try to reinvent it.  Let's say a couple of weeks ago I made pot roast for dinner.  Instead of sticking the leftovers in the fridge, I would cut up the meat, potatoes, carrots, onions, etc. and throw it in a big ziplock baggie, along with the leftover gravy.  Then I would promptly stow it in the freezer.  Two weeks go by, and I pull that bag out and throw it in my stockpot and make a killer stew (whilst adding some colored water!).  Brilliant!  If I don't have any leftovers to twist, then we'll usually have breakfast for dinner.  Because, you know, that's twisted too...

Thursday is the day for fancy French food or comforting Italian food.  That's about all there is to it.  Usually involves pasta of some sort.

Friday is our classic American family food.  Burgers, casseroles, pigs-in-a-blanket, etc.  The week is over, the weekend is nigh and it's time to have a picnic either outside or in front of the TV watching a movie.  It's our fun day.

Saturday is our date night.  We usually treat ourselves to a meal out via coupon clipping.  Brad and I LOVE eating out, so we've allowed ourself one night a week.  Just us.  No kids and no cooking.  It's a special day.

Sunday we either spend time with family, friends or the hub prepares the meal.  I've also deemed meat absolutely acceptable that day.  Without complaints from moi.  You can guess how super Brad feels about that ;)

And there you have it!  My week in meal plan form.  I realize it's Tuesday, but I'll go ahead and share this week's plan.  You know, just for kicks and giggles.

Mexican Monday: burritos and watermelon
"Oriental" Tuesday: tortilla crusted tilapia (a la Costco, love much), broccoli, brown rice revolution
Twisted Wednesday: Watermelon, grilled corn on the cob, a salad of some kind(?)
Authentic Thursday: Ravioli Bisque (coming soon to a blog near you!)
TGIFriday: veggie burger for me, chicken burgers for the rest, side of spiced fries, watermelon smoothie
Special Saturday: Chipotle (free) vs. Rubio's (coupon) ...decisions, decisions...
Super Sunday: plans pending

FYI: I'll try and post any upcoming meal plans on Sunday.  Sound good?  I know, now I'm hungry too.  *B

No comments: