Tuesday, September 21, 2010

colored water

I was talking with a friend, before I started back up with this blurg, and she suggested I throw in a tip here and there.  Sound like fun?  Heck yeah  :)  Quick, pop quiz!  What do you do with your veggie water?  Throw it away or use it?  The correct answer, my friend, is to use it.  Go ahead and give yourself a pat on the back if you guessed correctly.  Do it now.  We I'll wait...

Moving on!  Today's tip is brought to you by tonight's meal: tortilla crusted tilapia from Costco (truly amazing!), steamed broccoli (go green!), and brown rice revolution (recipe coming soon!).  So here I had some broccolified water, and instead of dumping it down the drain, I added it to my rice.  Awesomeness.

In case you haven't heard, vegetables are fantastic.  They're just so full of goodness!  Eating them raw is great, but some people do better with them slightly cooked.  A little bit of goodness is lost when we cook it...  If you use a micro, that goodness is gone for good.  But if you steam/boil your vegs, you can use that goodness found in the water you cooked them in/with!  Make sense?

Basically, use your cooking water.  Use it right away if you're already cooking (like I did), or pour it into a jar and stick it in the fridge for later.  It makes for a great addition to soups, smoothies, rice, bread, etc.  It's kinda magical... maybe I'm that sounds crazy, but just try it and then see how you feel about it!  *B

2 comments:

jana mae said...

I know this sounds a little lame... but since I know you're not opposed to questions (no matter how ridiculous)... :) How long will this water keep in the fridge?

{B}dreamy said...

That is a good question! I'm not entirely sure... a few days? My general rule of thumb for any leftovers (or food that's been cooked) is about a week. If you don't plan on using it in the next few days, throw it in the freezer! *B