While I'm usually not a huge fan of meat, especially the ground kind, when I do use/eat it I prefer to pair the lean turkey with the more flavorful beef. Adding black beans just brings more protein (and fiber) to the table. Still working on the wannabe taco meat... but in the meantime, here's a more meat friendly version ;)
- 1 c. ground turkey
- 1 c. ground beef
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 2 T. taco seasoning
- Brown meat until slightly pink; add chopped onion and cook until onions are soft and meat is cooked.
- Add taco seasoning and stir. Add about a 1/4 c. water and allow mixture to come to a simmer.
- Add black beans and cook until liquid is gone.
- Serve meat as a filling for tacos/burritos or as a topping for nachos. Add additional toppings such as salsa, diced tomatoes, lettuce, olives, avocados, etc. as desired.
Tip: We tend to buy our ground beef and turkey in bulk, from Costco. When we get home, we chop up an onion and cook both meats simultaneously. Once cool, we combine the cooked turkey and beef and divide it up into individual ziplock bags and pop 'em in the freezer. Then, when it's time to make tacos, or spaghetti, or chili, the nasty-time-consuming part (aka. meat cooking) is already done! Just add your spices and you're good to go. *B