Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Asian Fusion Soup

I also call this "poor man's fancy ramen."  I invented this soup a while ago, when money was tight and so was time.  Isn't that always the case, though?  Anyway, it's a great way to really stretch your wallet and use up what's in your fridge/pantry.  Super cheap.  Super easy.  It's super soup!

Ingredients:
  • 4 c. chicken broth
  • 1 t. garlic, minced
  • 1 green onion, diced (opt)
  • handful of spinach
  • 1/2 c. fresh/frozen/canned mixed vegetables
  • 1/2 can mushrooms, drained (opt)
  • 2 T. soy sauce
  • 2 T. honey/brown sugar
  • 2 T. coconut oil
  • 1/2 t. ginger
  • dash of cayenne (opt)
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 package of prepared pad thai noodles -or- handful of wantons
Directions:
  1. Bring broth to a boil and add coconut oil.
  2. Add garlic, onions, spinach and frozen veggies.  Reduce heat to simmer.
  3. Add soy sauce, ginger and cayenne.  Stir.
  4. While whisking soup, add beaten eggs.
  5. Stir in noodles and heat through.
Tip: If you want more protein, add a handful or two of cooked, shredded chicken.  Add as much cayenne as you want spice.  Other yummy add-ins are mushrooms, celery, bok choy and brown rice.  I forget how much I like this soup until I make it, and then I wonder why I don't make it more often!  And believe it or not, my kids love it, too.  Family tested, budget approved soup for you.  *B

1 comment:

Jolene said...

Beth,
where do you get your msg free chicken bouillon?