Tuesday, May 03, 2011

substitute your eggs, vegan style

[source]
If you know me personally (or read this here blog regularly), you'll know I'm always up for a culinary challenge!  Yesterday I made some muffins sans eggs.  I've always wanted to, and I didn't have any eggs.  Perfect timing ;)

The muffins turned out pretty dang good, if I say so myself!  Now, I don't think I will ever go vegan (or completely vegetarian).  I'm what you might call a flexitarian... And a self proclaimed subsitution queen.  I am ALL about subbing fruit/veggie/bean purees in lieu of oil or butter.  Why not take it a step further and sub out your eggs in favor of chia seeds or flax seed?  Don't get me wrong, I love eggs.  In moderation.  But think of all the great health benefits chia and flax seeds have to offer!  Both are full of awesome fats, protein and fiber.  It just makes those healthy baked good even better (aka. nutrient dense).

Ingredients:
  • 1 T. chia seeds OR flax seeds
  • 3 T. water
Directions:
  1. Throw water and chia seeds into blender and blend until smooth.  Allow to sit for a few minutes until a gel forms.
  2. If using flax seeds, grind in a coffee grinder and combine with water.  Allow to sit and gel up.
  3. Add gel in place of 1 egg.  Double recipe to yield the equivalent of two eggs, etc.
And depending on what you're baking, you can use white/black chia seeds.  For example, black chia seeds would work just fine in chocolate brownies.  But if you're making cookies you might want to try something a little less conspicuous, like white chia seeds or flax seeds instead.  This works great for muffins, and I know people who have made cookies and cakes with much success, too.  I would not even attempt to try it for quiche or scrambled eggs, though.  Just in case the thought crossed your mind...  *B

No comments: