Thursday, May 26, 2011

Apple "Coffee" Cake


If you know me (very well), you would know that I don't much care for breakfast.  I also believe that muffins et al. shouldn't taste like cupcakes sans frosting...  This apple cake is the perfect balance and is my definition of the perfect breakfast baked good: it's moist and wholesome.  More importantly, it's tasty (aka. sweet, but not too sweet)!  I blame the crumb topping ;)

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 c. unbleached white flour
  • 1/2 c. wheat flour
  • 1/2 wheat germ
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1.5 t. baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 6 T. brown sugar
  • 1/2 c. rice milk
  • 1/3 c. apple sauce
  • 1 green apple, chopped
  • 1 c. brown sugar
  • 4 T. flour
  • 4 T. butter, melted
Directions:
  1. Combine flours, wheat germ, salt and baking powder in bowl.  Set aside.
  2. Combine egg with 6 T. brown sugar, whisk in rice milk and apple sauce.
  3. Add dry ingredients to the wet until just mixed.  Fold in chopped apples.
  4. Spread batter into the bottom of a prepared square baking dish.
  5. Combine 1 c. brown sugar, 4 T. flour, and melted butter to make the crumb topping.
  6. Crumble topping over the batter; bake at 425 for 15 minutes, or until fork comes out clean.
I don't know about you, but my family eats our coffee cake with yogurt on top.  Apparently that's how they ate it in France, and my dad was kind enough to introduce us to the yumminess.  If you haven't tried it, you really should!  And maybe next week I'll have a yogurt recipe for you, too.  But this is probably the only cake recipe you'll get from me (I'm more of a pie person).  *B

    No comments: