Don't ask me why, but my kids have always called mac & cheese "Noodle Cheese." Silly kids. And being me, I like to sneak a little healthy into their cheese o' noodles. They don't know any better, but I know it IS better! As it should be ;)
- 1 box Mac & Cheese - Make sure to read the ingredients! Buy brands that have real ingredients and NO food dye
- 3.5 oz. sweet potato OR butternut squash OR pumpkin puree - Baby food makes it fast/easy. But feel free to use your own purees, about 1/4 cup
- 1-2 T. butter
- 4 T. (rice) milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- dash of nutmeg (opt)
- Bring pot of water to rapid boil. Add noodles and cook for 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Drain noodles, then return to pot. Add butter and puree. Stir in cheese powder until well combined.
- Add milk and mix well. Add in spices and serve warm. Top with a little Parmesan, if desired.
That's it! This is usually our go-to meal when money/time is tight, so I rarely (as in hardly) make mac & cheese from scratch... It's just not worth it, unless it's for some fancy dinner party for grown ups. But if my kids are begging for some "Noodle Cheese" then I quickly throw this together and call it good. They stop whining and start eating, which makes for a happy dinner (and mom)! *B