Sunday, February 13, 2011

Super Simple Sneaky Noodles

Don't ask me why, but my kids have always called mac & cheese "Noodle Cheese."  Silly kids.  And being me, I like to sneak a little healthy into their cheese o' noodles.  They don't know any better, but I know it IS better!  As it should be ;)


Ingredients:
  • 1 box Mac & Cheese - Make sure to read the ingredients!  Buy brands that have real ingredients and NO food dye
  • 3.5 oz. sweet potato OR butternut squash OR pumpkin puree - Baby food makes it fast/easy.  But feel free to use your own purees, about 1/4 cup
  • 1-2 T. butter
  • 4 T. (rice) milk
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • dash of nutmeg (opt)
Directions:
  1. Bring pot of water to rapid boil.  Add noodles and cook for 7 minutes.  Remove from heat.
  2. Drain noodles, then return to pot.  Add butter and puree.  Stir in cheese powder until well combined.
  3. Add milk and mix well.  Add in spices and serve warm.  Top with a little Parmesan, if desired.
That's it!  This is usually our go-to meal when money/time is tight, so I rarely (as in hardly) make mac & cheese from scratch...  It's just not worth it, unless it's for some fancy dinner party for grown ups.  But if my kids are begging for some "Noodle Cheese" then I quickly throw this together and call it good.  They stop whining and start eating, which makes for a happy dinner (and mom)!  *B

1 comment:

Nick and Ashley said...

I love throwing a bag of frozen peas when you cook the noodles and then drain and add the rest. yummy.