I'm not going to even bother tweaking this recipe... If it ain't broke, don't fix it ;) Although, I am making this with rice milk and a butter substitute for the casein sensitive feasters. Either way, this is THE best yam/sweet potato casserole you will EVER have. I guarantee it!
- 3 cups cooked and mashed red sweet potatoes or yams
- 2.5 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick of butter, divided (softened)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- spices to taste (opt)
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Mix together the sweet potatoes, 1 c. of brown sugar, salt, eggs, 1/3 stick of butter, milk, vanilla and spices and place in greased baking dish.
- Mix remaining brown sugar and butter with flour and nuts. Sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes.