Thursday, March 28, 2013

Balsamic Chicken w/ Quinoa


I love balsamic vinegar!  I don't know if it's due to my Italian heritage or not, but I could practically drink the stuff.  My husband is the complete opposite.  He doesn't care for tomatoes, or anything too acidic.  Makes me wonder about my pH levels...  Anyway, we both love this dish.  It does a great job of uniting all taste-buds ;)

Adapted from Dishing with Leslie

Ingredients:
  • 2 T. oil (olive/coconut)
  • 6-8 chicken thighs/breasts
  • 1 T. brown sugar
  • 1 T. Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1/4 t. pepper
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced OR 1/2 t. garlic powder
  • 1/2 onion, sliced
  • 2 handfuls of spinach, chopped
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes
  • 1/3 c. balsamic vinegar
  • 2 t. chicken bouillon
  • 1 c. quinoa
  • 2 c. chicken broth
Directions:
  1. Add oil to crock pot and place chicken on top.  Combine spices and sprinkle over chicken.
  2. Top chicken with minced garlic, sliced onion, chopped spinach and can of tomatoes.
  3. Combine chicken bouillon w/ balsamic vinegar, and pour on top.
  4. Cover and cook on high for 3.5 hours.  Reduce heat to low and cook for another 30 minutes.
  5. While chicken cooks, prepare quinoa:  Bring chicken broth and quinoa to a boil in a medium saucepan; reduce heat and simmer until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy.
  6. Serve chicken over prepared quinoa.  Enjoy!
This makes a lot of sauce, and the quinoa does a great job of soaking it up.  I like to save any remaining sauce and freeze it to use as a thin pasta sauce later.  I'm sure it would be an awesome addition to soup, too (think minestrone).   Or if you're like me, you could always just drink it.  *B

No comments: