- my variation of "Dahl"
- 3/4 cup red lentils
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped up
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 can coconut milk, about 1/2 cup (I use lite/low-fat, if you can't get it, just use less and increase the water)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed dried red peppers
- 1/4 tsp ginger (just the regular powdered kind)
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, then add the mustard seeds, garlic, and onions. Cook on medium heat until onions are transparent and seeds begin to pop. Then add the lentils and cook until shiny and a little transparent (about 3 min). Add coconut milk, 1 cup water, and spices. I just add spices to taste. Simmer 30-40 minutes until lentils are tender and it has a thick soup-like consistency. It will reduce as cooking, so feel free to add water, coconut milk, and adjust spices during cooking. Serve over Basmati rice. It's delicious served with fresh sliced green, red, and yellow bell peppers. It also freezes and reheats well.