I found this recipe a while ago, and now I can't find it anywhere... I made some modifications to the original version, and now it's one of our family's favorites! It always hits the spot.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup chicken/vegetable broth
- 1 cup carrot juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 small bunch asparagus, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 small yellow squash, chopped
- 4-8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1-2 handfuls spinach, chopped (opt)
- 1/3 cup almonds, chopped (opt)
- 1 cup chickpeas/canellini beans, drained and rinsed (opt)
- Combine quinoa with broth, carrot juice and garlic in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is translucent. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
- While quinoa simmers, preheat oven to 425. Toss prepared veggies with olive oil, and salt/pepper to taste. Roast in oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Add roasted vegetables, spinach, almonds and white beans to cooked quinoa. Toss to coat or until well combined. Enjoy!
You can use whatever vegetables you want, and as many or as few as you wish. Green beans work well, as does broccoli. This makes for a wonderful side dish, and the addition of almonds and beans makes it a great vegan meal. Give it a try and let me know what you think! *B